20090422

...but HER aim's getting better.

Wouldn't you know it...the very day that I post saying that I hadn't heard much, I get FIVE letters from Spc. McFlute. The next day I even got a five minute phone call. Now I am expecting everything to relate to "five," somehow. For instance, the $5 footlong that I plan to have for lunch...

Overall, Spc. McFlute seems to be in the middle of a rough patch physically and mentally, but in her letters and phone call the Hope and Joy (and optimism) that form her core were on full display. This is something to be thankful for!

The Phone Call that Almost Wasn't

Spc. McFlute said on Sunday that she hopes (but won't count on) that she will be able to call on Sunday afternoons from here on out. That being said, I almost missed her the first time she was allowed to call. It all started at birth...and then a number of years later, on a recent Sunday afternoon, I was on the phone with Mom and Dad McMaiden-Name (Spc. McFlute's parents...get it?). In the back of my mind, I was hoping for a call from Spc. McFlute, so I had the McCell Phone close by as I reviewed the contents of the novel that Spc. McFlute sent in five separate chapters with Mom and Dad McM-N. Mom McM-N and I decided that we wanted McGoogle (Google) to show us a satellite image of Spc. McFlute's barracks, so off to the computer I went. As we were McGoogling the satellite, my McCell Phone started to ring, and I started to run. Through the door, over the trombone, around the alto trombone, underneath the euphonium, got on the bike, rode past the golf clubs, leapt from the bike...and the phone stopped ringing. I looked at the number and didn't recognize it, which means that it was Spc. McFlute. Of course, I was devastated AND had a big mess to clean up AND laundry to fold (unrelated), all without the help of Spc. McFlute.
Not to worry.
Either someone was kind to Spc. McFlute, or she was very sneaky, or both, because the phone rang again!
As I picked up my aching, dripping body off the floor, I looked at the number.
I didn't recognize it. My heart leapt!
I answered, and it was!

It was Spc. McFlute, for five whole minutes. I will never speak ill of the Army again, because we got six minutes.

Then the stupid Army made her hang up.

If it Doesn't Make You Stronger, You Will at Least Really Smell.

Spc. McFlute says that the PT (Physical Training...remember what I said about acronyms?) has become more difficult. She was getting kind of cocky and trying to run faster than everyone else, but that has stopped!
For instance, the other day, before breakfast, before any sane person is awake, the SEIP (Self-Esteem Improvement Program) participants had the recruits outside exercising. They began with calisthenics (sit-ups, push-ups, underwire, jumping jacks, blackcats, etc.). After what seemed like 6 hours of that (I think it was about 45 minutes...) the SEIP folks decided that a two-mile run sounded like fun, so off they went.
The SEIP participants seriously misjudged the wake-up time and breakfast wasn't ready yet, so they decided to kill some time (and people?) with uphill sprints. Fun. Then slop breakfast, then a full day of training (including what was technically lunch and dinner).
Oops. Guess they misjudged again, so more PT before bedtime. Being the merciful folks that they are, the SEIP people made the nightcap PT somewhat lighter than the morning blend. Relatively speaking.
Spc. McFlute also got in trouble for the first time. I mean REALLY got in trouble. She was guarding her battle buddy's weapon while said buddy was in the little girl's room (that's not what they call it). Spc. McFlute's particular SEIP participant came along and gave her an instruction to "Follow me..." Well, Spc. McFlute did, but forgot about the extra weapon (he also gave her something to carry).

OOPS!

Well, the end result was a stern talking to (not a euphemism), some extra cleaning, and writing a pretend letter to the battle buddy's parents explaining that their daughter was killed-in-action because Spc. McFlute had failed to secure her weapon.

Do Not Be Anxious About Anything...

Instead, in every situation, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, tell your requests to God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds
in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

This is important for me to remember. Spc. McFlute has been fighting off a cold of sorts for the past couple of weeks and several of her colleagues have developed pneumonia. There have also been various twists, sprains, breaks, breakdowns, and the like. These things will heal, but would probably cause one to miss training for an indefinite period of time. One's care would be provided by the Army.
No...it's ok. You don't need to move. I won't be doing cartwheels. Anything that is "provided by the Army" that is not cash-money doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Call me crazy, but that's the way I see it.

The thing to remember, though, is that God got Spc. McFlute into this "mess" (if you will) and He will get her out, one way or another.

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know what I have planned for you,' says the Lord.
'I have plans to prosper you, not to harm you. I have plans to give you a future filled with hope. 12When you call out to me and come to me in prayer, I will hear your prayers. 13When you seek me in prayer and worship, you will find me available to you."

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got to talk to her on the phone John! Don't worry, if the Army is anything like the Navy/Marines, then if she breaks an arm they'll probably give her 2 aspirin and she'll be fine :-)

    ReplyDelete