20090401

If I didn't see it with my own eyes...

Great news!
Spc. McFlute was given an opportunity, based on her membership in "The Band," to test out of Basic Training early.
SHE PASSED!
Spc. McFlute is officially finished with Basic Training and will head back to Dallas tomorrow. We will accelerate our move to DC to the beginning of May. This is all happening very quickly, but we are EXCITED!
In order to have the remainder of training waived, Spc. McFlute had to complete the Exit Level Fitness Test, run an obstacle course, demonstrate a properly worn uniform, pass a test covering basic military history, first aid, and tactics, and qualify on the M16A. She didn't break any records, but she got it done!











(scroll down)
















April Fools.




I know, nobody was fooled.
Well, maybe one or two of you were, but you probably won't admit it.


Back to real life...

I spoke to Spc. McFlute on Friday AND Saturday (AND she was able to call Mom and Dad McFlute on Sunday) and was able to get an idea of what things were like for the first few days. That is also when I received her address. That kind of phone frequency is definitely NOT the norm.

Spc. McFlute arrived on Wednesday evening and immediately began processing. Processing (paperwork, including starting the pay, uniform issuing, including birth control glasses (really ugly military issue glasses), etc.) was finished at 0400 (4 AM), at which time Spc. McFlute and co were sent to bed and told to re-form at 0415 (15 minutes later) for a full day of "stuff." Coincidentally, that day (Thursday) was Spc. McFlute's birthday.
Happy stinkin' birthday.
The biggest annoyance (so far) is the incessant talking and general cutting up from the younger, stupider members of Spc. McFlute's company. This, so far, has only resulted in lots of extra yelling, but will probably eventually mean push-ups or the like. Also, as I mentioned before, SPc. McFlute has had trouble sleeping. This is partially due to the same idiots mentioned above. I can only assume that these people will eventually wind up in a Due Processing Facility (the Army's version of a welfare check) in some unfortunate city somewhere.

Spc. McFlute says that this experience is, so far, the least favorite of her life, but that she is glad to go through it for the joy that will follow. I haven't spoken to her since the actual training began on Monday, but I imagine that in some ways her situation is better, and in some ways more difficult.
As always, thanks for your prayers, cards, and cookies (to me, not her)!
If you want an envelope, and live on the same continent as me, let me know. I won't even make fun of you very much.

4 comments:

  1. Again, Bravo! I was fooled.....hadn't happened all day, and then I saw this....oye!
    Thanks for the envelopes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely wasn't fooled, but that's cause I'm in the military I guess. You did forget in her exit fitness test the all important skill of how to fold her clothes and arrange her locker properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I hear you almost didn't make it through your Basic Training time, Jim-Bob.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea almost didn't make it, but finished my basic in 6 years.

    ReplyDelete